Beethoven Days Blog

Monday 13 February 2017

The Lieder Bored

 Yesterday I listened to a couple of Beethoven's settings for Irish folksongs.
Today I listened to six more of his settings of Irish, Scottish and Welsh melodies.
They are lovely. They are beautifully performed. Their cultural value is undeniable.
And I am bored out of my fucking skull.
I'm sure there's a way to like it. I'm sure there's something I'm missing. I'm happy to take the blame.
But good sweet God I find it boring.
Which is a problem as the idiot who's committed to listening to all of Beethoven, because I Googled "Beethoven's folksong settings" and found this: the Complete Beethoven Folksong Settings, recording by various artists for Deutsche Grammophon.


This multi-album recording includes all of his folksong settings. Every last goddamn one. And the website selling it casually stated the album's complete running time is...

7 HOURS AND 58 MINUTES!

7 HOURS AND 58 MINUTES!

OK.
I'm gonna get through these gradually, one by one, until 2035 when I finally listen to the last one and weep for my wasted life. 
And I'm gonna make it bearable by spreading around some sugar wherever possible to the brave artists that commit their time and energies to performing and recording these songs. (Shudder)

Today I listened to the Neues Munchner Klaviertrio with soprano Julie Kaufmann. The trio plays with beautiful nuance and Kaufmann brings incredible clarity and musicality to these little musical sleeping pills. Even when the lyrics are trite or dull, she makes them crystal clear. 

This isn't that recording. This is some other group of people who can't possibly be happy. "No Riches From His Scanty Store" WoO 152, No. 2.








No comments: